Saturday, September 4, 2010

Armed and Dangerous: How True Blood's Rutina Wesley Gets Fit

True Blood is pulling out the big guns: Rutina Wesley plays tough, buff Tara Thornton on HBO's popular vampire series, which is back for season three this summer. We found out how she got those smokin' arms -- and legs and, well, everything.
How do you prep for all the fighting and running in your scenes?
"I do a mix of cardio and strength -- the elliptical machine and weight lifting -- three times weekly. But a lot of my agility comes from being a dancer; I trained at Julliard. I also do yoga. It helps me relax and let go of the crazy character I play."

We have biceps envy. What's the secret?
"About every other day, I do a special 30-20-10 push-up circuit: 30 push-ups and 30 triceps dips, then 20 of each, then 10 of each."
Are you as tough off-camera as you are on the set?
"That's what people think; I look like I can beat you up. But I'm as soft as a flower."
Why is being fit important to you?
"My body is a reflection of how grateful I am for my life and my health; there are a lot of people less fortunate than me. And I still want to have these arms and legs when I'm 75."
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, July/August 2010.

As always, you are welcome to call or email me with questions or to get started on your own customized fitness plan. So guys if you could please comment below and tell me what you think about my blog post. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for any questions here...